15 Years & Older
This Red Cross Certification course will certify individuals in lifeguarding, CPR for the professional Rescuer, First Aid, and AED. Participants must be at least 15 by time of first class.
The following requirements are to be completed the first night of class and are necessary in order to take the course:
- Swim 550 yards, continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. Candidates may swim using the front crawl, breaststroke or a combination of both, but swimming on the back or side is not allowed. Swim goggles may be used.
- Swim 5 yards submerge and retrieve three dive rings placed 5 yards apart in 4 to 7 feet of water, resurface and continue to swim another 5 yards to complete the skill sequence.
- Tread water for 2 minutes using legs only. Candidates should place hands under their armpits.
- Complete a timed event, within 1 minute and 40 seconds.
- Starting in the water, swim 20 yards. The face can be in or out of the water. No goggles can be worn
- Surface dive, feet first or headfirst to depth of 7 to 10 feet to retrieve a 10- pound object.
- Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on the back to return to the starting point with both hands holding the objects and keeping the face at or near the surface so they are able to get a breath.
Please be aware that during each class the above skills may be practiced, including the 550-yard swim.
Participants must pass 100% of these water skills in addition to passing a written test by at least 80%. There are no refunds for failure to pass either requirement. Attendance is critical at every class. Absences may result in no certification.
American Red Cross certifications for Lifeguarding/First Aid and CPR/AED for the Lifeguard are valid for two years. Certifications will be issued upon the successful completion of the course.
Must attend all classes to get certified.
Fee: $340 for members, $365 for non-members
Those who do not pass the pre-test on the first night will receive a refund minus $50.00.
Program is offered occasionally from September through June.
All Non-Members must sign a Non-Member Program Participant Waiver in order to participate in programs. Please print, sign and return to Member Services Desk upon or before attending the first class.
|Wednesday, 1/20||4:00PM - 8:00PM|
|Friday, 1/22||4:00PM - 8:00PM|
|Saturday, 1/23||6:00PM - 10:00PM|
|Sunday, 1/24||6:00PM - 10:00PM|